Existing Member?

African Archives Traveling is so much better when you can give something back.

Vanessa

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 16 April 2004 | Views [424]

Vanessa lays out the ground rules

Vanessa lays out the ground rules

We first met Vanessa Bouwer when she was on a fundraising tour of the US for the DeWildt Cheetah Centre.  Her enthusiasm and love of Africa created in us a desire not only to visit but to become a part of DeWildt. She eventually arranged for Connie and me to become the first long-term volunteers at the Centre.

Vanessa is the day-to-day driving force behind DeWildt.  She is a study in contrasts.  She describes herself as the Beta (‘beetah’) female, when in reality she is the power behind the throne.  Obviously a city girl, she lives alone on the edge of the bushveld.  From white Afrikaner stock, she takes pride in her pro-democracy activism.  She is a classical guitarist who adores Cher, a corporate marketing wiz whose fingers are adorned with rings, has blonde streaks in her dark hair and sports funky earrings.  She works on a cheetah reserve and usually wears long dresses – and never a DeWildt logo.  Vanessa lives miles from the city life but jets off to Capetown or Singapore for a week-end fling.  She despairs of being single but juggles several eligible suitors on different continents.  Her home is stylish but she remains non-pulsed when her cat brings in cobras and rats.  She is equally at home with wealthy benefactors and poor black African kids.  She is fiercely loyal to Ann but anxious for the day she takes over. 

Vanessa Bouwer is the heart of DeWildt and the spirit of the new Africa.

About johnandconnie

Perqs of volunteering

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.