Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Volcan Santa Maria.

GUATEMALA | Monday, 3 August 2009 | Views [823] | Comments [1]

Volcan Santa Maria is an extinct volcano located just next to Xela, where i´m studying spanish.  I did a day hike with a bunch of the school where I´m studying spanish one saturday.  It was pretty uneventful and a pretty easy hike but it was a nice view when the clouds blew through.  Because of the elevation the top most portion of the volcano is at about cloud cover.  So when I cloud comes through your hiking inside of one before you get to the top.  The Volcano has a special religous significance to the people here.  When we were hiking up, there were some locals going up to the top to pray.  They would stop along the way to pray too.  On the top were a bunch of people praying and crying out to God for different reasons.  The volcano is holy to the people here apparently.  Not much else to report. 

Tags: guatemala, santa maria, volcano

 

Comments

1

I heard they were asking their gods if they could sacrifice the crazy white boy.

  terri Aug 7, 2009 11:27 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.