Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Malaria and Pre-Kilimanjaro

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 24 March 2009 | Views [720] | Comments [2]

Turns out my food poisoning on the descent of Mt. Kenya was actually Malaria. I was sick for about 2-3 days before I decided to get checked. I got my antibiotics and spent the next 3-4 days recovering in my hostel; in a dimly lit room under a mosquito net tossing and turning, pouring sweat. All I needed were flies landing on the corners of my mouth and eyes and it would've been a scene out of a UNICEF commercial. The best way I can describe Malaria overall is feeling "kinda yucky." I'm in Arusha, Tanzania now, fully recovered. I depart on my Mt. Kilimanjaro trek tomorrow. I found mosquito repellent for the first time in 6 months in a grocery store in town today. So not only am I taking anti-malarials, but after about 5 applications in the past 3 hours of spray repellent I'm also coated with a glistening sheen of mosquito death. I'm excited that I'm almost to the pinnacle of my main goal in Africa, and really happy that I was able to raise money for an awesome charity on the side.

Tags: anti-malarials, arusha, mosquito repellent, mt. kilimanjaro, tanzania

 

Comments

1

Hope you are good to go for the climb. Sounds amazing.
I haven't kept up with your posts in awhile, so it was good to catch-up a little.
Just did a hike in the Grand Canyon last week that you would have enjoyed.
Take care,
J

  Jeremy Mar 24, 2009 3:46 PM

2

Hello Joe,
I tried to call you last night before you left on your trek. Jeff and I will be praying for your health and safety as you climb Mt. Kilamanjaro. I researched it and it is going to be a beautiful climb. Know that you will be surrounded by God's hands for your health.

  MOM Mar 26, 2009 12:01 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.