Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Aden to Africa Update

YEMEN | Sunday, 1 February 2009 | Views [619] | Comments [1]

Yes, I'm still in Aden.  I was set to leave today, hitching on a cargo ship to the port in Djibouti but I decided to stay for a few extra days.  There is no tourist or traveler way to get to Africa you have to hitch on a container ship.  I met an american named Alex.  He is first mate on a Catamaran (Sail Boat) making it's way up the Gulf of Aden to the Red Sea into the Med.  I decided to postpone my travel into Africa for a few days cause he invited me to stay on the Catamaran for awhile.  I can't really pass that opportunity up.  Wish they were going to Africa and I'd hitch with them.  I guess I've been in Aden about a week now.  The bus ride up here wasn't to pleasant but the city, people, and weather are great.  I rode on a bus from Al-Makulla to Aden.  About an 8 hour bus ride.  However, before leaving I needed to get a travel permit from the police to go on that road as it's supposed to be unsafe.  Apparently, I underestimated it's "unsafeness."  When I departed I was informed that I also had to have two armed soldiers on the bus with me to protect me from the tribal folks in some of the areas who like to kidnap foreigners.  So, I sat in the back of the bus with broken A/C, for about 8 hours sweating blood.  The soldiers charged me(more like robbed)for their services of course.  Aden has made up for it.  Perfect beach weather.  Cool water and a warm breeze.  These are the friendliest people I think I've encountered so far.  Anywhere.  I walk down the street and people honk and wave.  People wave and say hello to me as I pass by shops or groups of people.  A couple people have sat down with me at cafes and bought me tea.  One or two have bought me lunch.  Alex and I made a couple Yemeni friends the other day that took us to a cultural center the other night where they played traditional music and had a couple skits.  Last night we sat out on the water and smoked sheesha and chewed Qat.  It actually worked this time.  The last two times I chewed Qat it didn't do much.  Last night it worked.  It's kind of like taking a weak Percocet.  It relaxs you but dosen't dull the senses.  Makes sense why everyone is addicted to it here.  So in summary my update is:  I'm living on a sailboat, I'll go to Africa eventually.  Ok.  I'll upload pics when I can find a place with a decent internet connection.

Tags: aden, catamaran, djibouti, sail boat, yemen

 

Comments

1

your mother told you so. I am not amused. please don't take unnecessary risks if you need to read the national georgraphic. terri

  mom Feb 6, 2009 1:02 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Yemen

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.