Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Salalah, Oman

OMAN | Sunday, 25 January 2009 | Views [595]

Anyplace that has palm trees, a deserted beach, and smells of Frankinsence, I'm probably going to like.  This part of the Arabian Gulf is especially known for it's Frankinsence.  You smell it burning around every corner, throughout the markets, and when you sit outside cafes to eat.  I spent four days in Salalah, waiting for the next bus out to Yemen.  It was nice and relaxing, spent my time eating Pakistani food (Seasoned rice and Chicken), and drinking fresh fruit juices.  They take fruit that they picked that day and make you fruit smoothies, about a buck apiece.  The beach was deserted so I spent a good part of my time walking up and down it, taking pictures of palm trees and fisherman in their little boats getting the catch of the day.  It's like the summer in this part of the Gulf right now.  Warm and humid during the day.  It's been raining off and on since I got here.  Actually, the rain has been following me since Aleppo, Syria.  The rain followed me up to Istanbul.  Then it rained in Dubai, then Muscat, then Salalah, and it rained here in Al-Mukulla yesterday.  Every place people say, "It's unusual for it to rain here, ever."  I was talking to a Kenyan guy today about it, he says I'm good luck.  I should start telling the border guards, maybe they won't charge me for entry Visas.  I'm off to Aden tomorrow, hopefully the weather is nice and beautiful down there too.  Also, I hope I can go swimming in the ocean there without getting eaten by a shark.

Tags: frankinsence, oman, salalah

 

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Oman

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.