Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Aswan, Egypt

EGYPT | Wednesday, 15 October 2008 | Views [556]

So I decided to take the "famous deluxe overnight sleeper" from Cairo to Aswan, Egypt. Supposed to be a 9 hour ride turned into 15 hours on the train. Can't say much for punctuality in this country. I'm not complaining though, it was an interesting ride. I shared a two person sleeper cabin with a Korean Monk. He was a little nuts too, he kept talking to me in Korean, not realizing he was speaking Korean. It was a pretty funny ride, even though really long. I got to Aswan, and booked my trip to Abu Simbel. You have to book with a tour because of travel restrictions on foreigners in Southern Egypt. So our little minibus was part of a huge tourist convoy under guard of Egyptian police on a three hour drive down to Abu Simbel. It was worth it though, Abu Simbel was almost as spectacular as the pyramids of Giza. Pictures don't really do it justice. Amazing it's over 2500 years old. The feluccas and little rock islands around Aswan in the Nile are pretty cool too.

Tags: abu simbel, aswan, convoy, egypt, felucca, tactical nightmare

 

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.