Existing Member?

The backpack is on again

Exploring Intramuros

PHILIPPINES | Saturday, 28 February 2009 | Views [769]

Jeepneys

Jeepneys

The area of Manila called Intramuros is a walled city containing churches, homes, government buildings and a fort. The walls were built by the Spanish in the 1500s and the city has withstood wars, typhoons and earthquakes and was eventually shelled to death by the Americans when they kicked the Japanese out of the Philippines in 1945. The place turned into slums until the 1970s when the government decided to regenerate it and I am so glad they did because it is really lovely. Inside, things are much more mellow than the rest of the city. There is less traffic and a lot of green areas. The first things we saw were Manila cathedral and there was even a wedding going on. I enjoyed the the Fort Santiago as basically the plaza had been turned into a lovely park with fountains and jasmine trees. Locals picnicked under the trees and kids climbed on the original old wall. The artillery and other buildings had been turned into various museums. One of them was dedicated to local hero, poet and artist Rizal.

We were able to visit a furnished 19th century Spanish house and the courtyards around it. We had lunch in a café in one of the courtyards and then visited St Augustine's church.

I really enjoyed visiting Intramuros. I couldn't help but remember other places we had visited where the Spanish or Portuguese had been before: Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil....

I was also shocked at the lack of hassle we had. We have a range of strategies for dealing with beggars, touts and general riff-raff, but we barely needed to apply them. As we walked along the street we heard “halo halo”, but remembered that halo is the name of a dessert, not the call of people trying to get out attention.

The biggest hassle was trying to cross the roads. In order to cross the roads, we usually tagged along with groups of locals who would just walk out in front of oncoming traffic. Sometimes it's best just not to look and just hope that people stop. We cut out a load of roads by cutting through Rizal Park which was great. It was a Saturday afternoon and people were hanging out enjoying themselves. Loud music blasted out from the loudspeakers. Security guard and several people out strolling sang along to “I will survive” and we joined in. Filipinos are a jolly lot. It always seems like they are having a laugh. We sat on a bench next to the lake for a while and listened to more 1970s love songs. Pretty surreal.

I have added more pictures to the albums on this blog – just look on the right hand side bar.

Tags: manila

About joblogs

Ready to go again

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.