Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Live Without a Car

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 8 February 2014 | Views [677]

That is my current challenge. Before coming back to Brisbane, I'd decided that I'd like to avoid owning a car mainly because of the costs associated with having one, especially when it's not being used daily. A lot of people think it's quite a challenge to be without one in Brisbane since things are fairly spread out around the city, public transport isn't as convenient (or cheap) and weekend trips to the coasts or hinterland require one. But at this moment in time, the costs of having a car really outweigh the benefits of me owning a car. I don't really want to have a depreciating asset when I really have no idea how long I will be back here for.

And so it is. I don't know how long I'll be in Brisbane for and so I'm creating a life here that is highly flexible - one which I can leave quite easily should I decide to. Given that it's only my fourth day being back in this city, I understand it might be too early to think this way. But truth is, I'm already really questioning why I am here. The questions are not because I don't want to settle back into "real" life and start work. It's because I'm already starting to feel the same sentiments here that made me want to leave in the first place. This place is not my home.

Anyhow, I'm going to give it a year. And I'm going to update this blog from time to time with the challenges and breakthroughs the future in Brisbane might hold. Here's to a completely different year to the last but hopefully an interesting one too!

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: australia, reflections

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.