Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Irony in Extremes

MACAU | Tuesday, 26 November 2013 | Views [406]

When I was in Nepal, I repetitively said that it would be my last trekking adventure. I was over it. The hard work, the sweat, the dirt and having to wake up to all that everyday. As I took my first step into Lukla (our last village) and my final trekking step, I felt unbelievably relieved. Finally! Goodbye to trekking holidays! I've had enough!
 
I vowed it would be all beach holidays or posh city escapes in the future. I'd been fantasising a lot about my perfect future getaways while walking to motivate me. Five-star hotels, clean spas and showers, beautiful ocean views, warm sun and blue skies, chocolate cake, cocktails, fancy clothes and luxe lingerie, etc. These are some of the things I had in my mind...
 
What's ironic is that I'm lying in a bed at the Venetian Macau looking at Instagram, being drawn most not to photos of the above but to photos of adventure, nature, mountains and Nepal. Though I'm perfectly comfortable (and clean!) in this fine beautiful establishment, these photos grab me with a sense of wistfulness... and a wanting to be where they were taken. I guess I'm not done with trekking just quite yet.

Tags: reflections, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Macau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.