Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Leaving The Harbour Town

GERMANY | Monday, 5 August 2013 | Views [433]

Life always seems to throw a challenge at me the day after a crazy night out. 

I found out five minutes before my train to Copenhagen was due to leave, that it had been cancelled because of an engine fault. To get us to Copenhagen, the transport services ferried us onto a bus that would get us over the sea by ferry and cross the border, leaving us at Nykøbing where we would continue our journey by train to the capital. While some of my fellow passengers stressed out with the change in situation, I felt like the only thing we could do about it was  laugh. We were after all still on our way to Copenhagen!
 
Hamburg surprised me a lot, mainly because I didn't know too much about it and was expecting a sleepy harbour town. How wrong I was! I quickly discovered that Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany, a prime venue for stag dos and hen parties. A city where the party is definitely at.
 
I ended my time in Hamburg with a spontaneous night out on the Reeperbahn, the centre of Hamburg's entertainment and red light district, with Anna (my Inca Trail buddy) and Patrick (my new German friend). A night of Astra, Hamburg's local brew, strawberry-lime shots, funky tunes, dancing and pure fun - I couldn't have seen a more apt end to my time in Hamburg!

Tags: cities, european adventure, friends, nights out, trains

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.