Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Pompei and a US Base

ITALY | Saturday, 29 June 2013 | Views [582]

I left Rome yesterday to visit the ruins of Pompei and see my friend, Crystal, on her US navy base in Naples.

When I switched trains for Pompei, I was very tempted to just skip it for some stunning scenery time in Sorrento. I decided not to though because the train was taking a long time stalling a little too much for comfort.
 
Pompei ended up being pretty fascinating. Equipped with my recently downloaded free Rick Steve's guide and an audio guide I paid for, I set foot on this interesting bit of history. It's amazing how well preserved the site is despite being completely taken by an volcanic eruption from Mt Vesevius, which still looms ominously over the town.
 
I didn't spend much time exploring Naples because I was there to meet Crystal, a friend I met in Barcelona. Visiting a US Navy base was kind of like me buying a Rome card after my experience with the Florence pass. Let's say it wasn't a typical experience you'd get out of visitibg Italy. It was bizarre to be completely submerged into everything American while still being on Italian soil. 99% of the people I met were American still eating American food and using American products. I even had a Midori cocktail in the restaurant there that had me almost believing I was in an American diner in the States.
 
I'm currently riding the train back to Rome from Naples. I'm feeling stuffed after a crazy amount of the best and juiciest (or maybe milkiest?) buffalo mozzarella. I could still eat Caprese everyday if I had to.

Tags: european adventure, food, friends, sightseeing, trains, usa

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.