Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Granny Gave Birth!

FRANCE | Saturday, 8 June 2013 | Views [546]

After almost missing my train to Perpignan by two minutes yesterday, I gave/had ample time to be at the station for my train to Avignon today. Instead of going around the town, I spent my morning with my new Quebecois friends, Camille and Claudia, waiting for our trains, chatting and drinking coffee in a gambling bar. After all we practically walked all over town last night to find the free hip hop music festival that was in town. And it's raining! So much for trying to catch a glimpse of the Pyrenees! It's possibly raining in Avignon as well, where I'm headed for today. After a nice week of sunshine and warmth, it's a bit of a downer to see the skies grey. However, the forecast looks promising so fingers crossed - the rain will only be for a day or two!

 The rain reminds me of my friend, James, whom I met in Barcelona. Partly because he was from England but mostly because of his favourite phrase from his Lonely Planet Spanish phrasebook.(He carried it everywhere in his back pocket!) It's the Spanish equivalent of "When it rains, it pours", which directly translates to "There were a few of us, then granny gave birth". Our Colombian friend, Felipe assured us that no such phrase is ever used in Colombia.
 
On my train ride to Perpignan yesterday, I was reflecting back on my last few months. A million miles away from my comfort zone, I've been truly blessed to meet some amazing people on the road. From great one-time conversations with strangers who have given me so much comfort, wisdom and inspiration with just one meeting to the strangers that I've become true friends with.  These are the people you meet and have an almost instant bond with. People that just appear almost out of luck or by fate. People you feel like you've known forever when you talk. People you know you'll be friends with for life. It sounds a little corny and unbelievable but I've met a few in each continent and I truly treasure each friendship. Although it's always so difficult to leave or say good bye, feeling like you just didn't have enough time and knowing that it'll be a while till the next time, you take comfort that there WILL be a next time with such friends just because of who they are.
 
Passing through the countryside and little towns of South France, it's just like a Provençal dream even with the dreary weather. I can't imagine how much more awesome it will look on a sunny day!

Tags: cities, european adventure, friends, trains

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.