Existing Member?

UK Italy Germany 2014

Bach on the organ at St Jacobi Göttingen

GERMANY | Sunday, 27 July 2014 | Views [237]

From the notices we expected the choir to sing in the 10 am service but we were told afterwards on enquiring of the organist Stephan Kordes, that out of 35 singers 15 were away or sick, forcing him to cancel their performance of parts of the Bach b minor mass. However instead he had treated us to extracts from Bach's organ mass and other little Bach gems on the amazing baroque oragan, the pure soft sound being ideally suited to Bach's music. Joining in the singing of the magnificent Lutheran hymns gave me a good vocal workout and made me realise how long it is since I sang. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of following the melody line and singing the verses in German, quite a thrill. 

The Church:

This is a stunning church. The first record of the town of Gottingen is in 1230 and St Jacobi was built in 1361 according to a weathered inscription in the porch. In 1999 the interior was painted, restoring the stark, vibrant colours and geometric patterns which it had in c 1480. This gives an impression of such lightness in the towering central space. The huge 1402 winged altar piece is absolutely arresting. It can be completely turned around to reveal a Sunday side or a week day side, each having 8 or 16 pictures showing either the life of Christ or St Jacobi, all richly gilded and painted, and so life like on close examination. 

About joanimil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.