Existing Member?

Candice & Jayden's O.S Adventure

Level 1 Start Sailing

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 18 May 2009 | Views [504] | Comments [1]

For those that don't know, since moving to London I have found a love for sailing... in particular dingy sailing. So on the 9/10 of May I ventured out to my local club http://www.dwsc.co.uk/ (Datchet - About 50 min train ride from London, 5 mins from heathrow). On arrival I was met by the club secretary, who then introduced me to the other course attendees; John a MET police officer who wants to start sailing with his son, Paul a Marketing contractor who knows how to sail yatchs but wants to get into dingy sailing as it is a little cheaper. We were then introduced to our instructor Sam. Sam is studying electronics at uni, but has decided that he much prefers a career in sailing.


Day 1

Sam advices us of the basics of sailing... basically the fact that you cant sail directly into the wind. We then when and grabbed our kit (wetsuit, buoyancy aid, splash vest, and booties) and was introduced to our boat... A topper topaz – great boat for beginners as they are easy to right and are unbreakable. We then attached the sail, boom and rudder before heading out on the water. We were told to just reach (sailing across the wind) back and forth just to understand the wind. Surprisingly I picked this up quickly and was able to generate some good speed.



Back to classroom for some more theory... this time tacking (turning to boat with the bow of the boat towards the wind). We then headed out on the water to put this into practise. The hardest parts of tacking is realigning the rudder after the tack and battling with the tiller extension. For the remainder of the day the process was the same... some theory followed by the practical. I finished the day feeling confident with my new acquired skills.



Day 2

Much the same as Day 1, however the wind had done a full 180 degree shift and its strength had disappeared. It is much harder to sail in light winds as the position of the boat is crucial. We extended our basic reach course to include a down and up wind leg, surprisingly the topaz is actually quickest when reaching and slowest going downwind.



Follow this course I will be heading to the Level 2 course on the 22/23 may. Completion of this course allows me to hire boats. (it basically like a licence).



Comments

1

sounds awesome mate.....keep us up to date....we got those dates off candice...we are 95 % sure we will see you in bangkok for 10-14 days of relaxing and living like kings :)

  simon berton May 18, 2009 7:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.