Existing Member?

Cutting Loose in Asia This journal/blog will chronicle the adventures of Leah & Joel in Hong Kong & the Philippines from July 12-August 8. Leah will conduct PhD research, Joel is along for the ride...

Pretending to understand Tagalish

PHILIPPINES | Friday, 3 August 2007 | Views [1325]

Hi! Here in Puerto Princesa,things are going.  Its a beautiful little town, very peaceful relative to previous anarchy that is Manila.  Had a tour of a crocodile farm, which they raise, and sell for preservation and leather. Also had OSTRICHES...pics to come.  They're so goofy and awkward, its great!  Palawanyos take pride in "Conserving the Last Frontier".  There are a number of indigenous tribes here who are given fair policy. 


Well, I've also had to learn to just relax and enjoy my humble pie.  One of the first things someone from the GIS conference told me was, "You look too young".  Thanks, little Timmy from Regal Theater already told me that when he carded me to see an R-flick.  So I was given a barong to wear for the first day of the conference.  It was a smooth one though and I ended up not feeling so ridiculi.  Despite some lapses in communication, it has been a lot of fun.  Its a crazy place.  I've really enjoyed talking with people from the planning office of the Spratly Islands, disputed between 6 countries and rightful ownership subject to an upcoming UN decision.  Its got about 70 part-time residents. 

So, more pics will come, but for now, TGIF tomorrow!!

Tags: Culture

About jmasselink


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.