Existing Member?

Namaste, India 3 months of Teaching and Traveling through Beautiful, Amazing India

Conversations with Ms. Sehgal

INDIA | Wednesday, 24 October 2007 | Views [344]

Ms. Sehgal and I quickly developed a ritual of having afternoon tea or coffee when I return home from school. Our conversations began with formalities, but quickly became full of personal insights and opinions. We talk about India. We talk about America.

I love hearing about all of the stereotypes Indians hear/have about Americans:
1. If you are and American and live in an apartment you will not know nor ever speak to your neighbor.
2. American girls get married at an average age of 16.
3. Americans cook everything in the microwave.
I will continue adding to this list. :)


Ms. Sehgal and I talk about politics, religion, life, loss, and sports (ha). I never imagined having such engaging conversations and connecting so well with a retired, Hindu woman living in Bangalore City. I am feminist. She is very much a feminist in her own right. The similarities and differences in our feelings on the topic are fascinating. Even though she is very religious, we have very similar views on religion, narrowmindedness, and religious people who like to "spread the word" of their own righteous and glorious beliefs. We talk about India vs. Pakistan. Hinduism vs. Islam. We talk about cricket! (Fair and square, Australia. Fair and square.) She knows so much about history and the world, it seems. I am learning so much from her.
Our conversations leave me inspired and curious. I have begun reading about Indian history and reading the newspaper daily. It is so easy to enjoy and drink up life in India. I have always loved learning and connecting with people, but my energy and consciousness have entered new levels. I read that one cannot visit India and return unchanged. I did not know the process would be so amazingly powerful.

Tags: Family

About jjanowski


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.