Existing Member?

Europe Escapees Jackie and John are embarking on an adventure. Where are we now?

Forty fizzler

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 18 June 2009 | Views [251] | Comments [3]

I was excited in the prospect of celebrating my birthday in my country of birth and in the season I was born. Of course things don't always go to plan! I suddenly started getting sick morning of my birthday (after waking yet again at 4.20am and bouncing out of bed at 6am) and spent an hour lying on a bench at the Tower of London. Luckily the Beefeaters didn't think i was a vagrant and move me on. John thought they'd just think I was hungover. Far from it. I didn't even have a drink that day! Glad I was able to balance out the actual event with the party beforehand! Once the drugs kicked in I made it up the Tower Bridge and to St Paul's Cathedral. Also struggled out to the Lion King, which was fantastic!!!

Next morning I was a bit of a mess so decided to see a Dr. For $300 one called in and told me i had a virus and there was nothing he could do but suggested drinking drams of whiskey and was very excited about us going to Scotland (he was Scotish)and planned an itinerary for us! I also learned that I would have had access to normal healthcare in Scotland if i had waited that long. Laid low in the morn while John went to the National Gallery and then coughed my way around the Tate Modern in the arvo.

Have just done Camden Market and off to Scotland this arvo.

Comments

1

Oh no!! After saying in a previous comment that I got over my virus pretty quickly, I've just spent a whole week in bed with the flu. I'm sure you'll be able to fight it off quicker than I did though.

The whisky remedy sounds great (I understand it's spelled without an 'e' in Scotland). Have one for me too!

As someone who regularly doesn't have a birthday, I thoroughly recommend picking a day you like and celebrating as if it were your birthday. Enjoy Scotland. Och eye the noo.

PS I saw masks on sale at Woolworths this weekend. You get three in a pack, along with instructions on how to set aside a 14 day supply of food in case there's a national emergency. But they were hidden on a bottom shelf, I doubt even the staff know they are there.

  Janet Jun 22, 2009 8:59 AM

2

So sorry to hear you werent well. Alex and Thomas got your postcard today and we found Dunbai on the world Globe. Alex then coloured in the Dubai Flag and put it in his Flag book. Looking forward to doing another one from your adventures soon.
Hope you have recovered.

  Beck Beaumont Jun 22, 2009 8:21 PM

3

Its been a few days now so hopefully you are feeling much better than this last update. We really enjoyed our tour around Scotland, not the least being the locals that we met & the amazing scenery that the roads wind through. And I think Janet's suggestion about "choose your own birthday" is a good one!!

  Tania Jun 23, 2009 9:33 AM

About jj_devries


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.