Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Cape Le Grand National Park and the Rabbit Proof Fence

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 3 December 2009 | Views [14136]

Nic at the start of the 'famous' Rabbit Proof Fence

Nic at the start of the 'famous' Rabbit Proof Fence

Wednesday 2nd December

Cape Le Grand National Park

We decided to make a real dent in our easterly route today!  Yes, we're going to try and cover the huge total of 280 km in one day.

This may not seem much but at least half would be on dirt tracks.

Heading east from Hopetoun, we came across the intriguingly named Two Mile Beach, Five Mile Beach and Twelve Mile Beach.  Why they just didn't call the whole bloody thing Nineteen Mile beach is beyond us.  But it was spectacular coast line. The dirt road ran along the coast and we stopped at various vantage points to check out the sea closer up.  Points of interest included crossing the Rabbit Proof Fence (with quite a few holes in it, including the road, with no gate...so beckons the questions “What is the point?” .... and a nursery of emu chicks and their sole parent (a very modern Australian family).

After about 120 kms on the dirt we decided to move to the black top and take the tarred road through to Esperance.  This is an historic port town named after a French ship that was forced to seek shelter here in 1792.  Very cute, but very strange to be surrounded by so many people (we're not used to crowds anymore).

Our destination today was Cape Le Grand National Park, about 50km east of Esperance.  We have a great spot to camp – again next to the beach, with camp kitchen, FLUSHING toilets and hot solar showers – all in a national park!

When we were preparing dinner in the camp kitchen we chatted with a bloke who is travelling around the country on a bicycle. We had  noticed him earlier in the day and noted how difficult it was for him battling the headwinds.  He told us it was one of his hardest days. Six hours peddling to get 70 kms. Early to bed, early to rise - beautiful sunset and dawn here.

 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.