Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Karri Forests and Beaches

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 24 November 2009 | Views [235]

Nic climbing the 75 m tree

Nic climbing the 75 m tree

Saturday 21st  November

Crystal Springs

Awoke to a little sunshine but unfortunately the weather closed in again and we were hit with more rain. Fortunately we had broken camp by then and were safely into our dry warm car.

Continued on our slow trek ever eastward – but first we stopped in the picturesque town of Nannup for cappuccino and the Saturday papers.

Heading slightly south we tumbled upon the Warren National Park, home to more of the towering Karri trees, discovering the Karri Explorers Way.  This took us via a 4x4 track to the famous Bicentennial Tree; a 75 metre tree with a peg ladder of x130 steps to the top.  Definitely not for the feint hearted.  Nic being of stout limb and strong heart ascended the tree and had the joy of a remarkable view over the top of the canopy of trees.  Jim (safely on the ground) was stressing enough for both.... and took pictures!

After this mighty feat, we continued the Explorers Way to the Cascades.  As it's been raining, the cascades were full but just a little too cold to swim in. 

Had lunch there and then back on the road in search of a suitable camp site for tonight.  The rain was still around so there was a quick discussion about the possibility of a motel but this was soon quashed. What were we: mice or men? (always been a point of debate).

After viewing a few possibilities we came upon the glorious Crystal Springs camp site.  Bush camping under a canopy of peppermint trees, but with the luxury of a pit toilet and firewood.... and no rain! Tacos for dinner by a raging fire and then snuggled into our dry little campervan. Having the best time!

We now seem to be ending our time in the Up-town: Yallingup, Dwellingup, Nannyup, Boyup, Manjimup, Kojonup, Gnowaugerup, Pinjrup, Shutup, Whatastuffup. Up means “place of “ in the local (indigenous) vernacular.  Quite quaint really.

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.