Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Petra Day 2

JORDAN | Saturday, 24 October 2009 | Views [397]

Nic overlooking the Monestery

Nic overlooking the Monestery

Friday 23rd October

Petra


As today was our day to investigate Petra by ourselves we deiced on a nice leisurely start. We hit the site at 10:00 am with our main aim to complete the walk to the High Place of Sacrifice. Another monument accessible by a hard but enjoyable mountain climb. On reaching the top we were rewarded with more panoramic views of the area and the lower city of Petra. The mix of natural and ancient man-made beauty is unique here.


After a little hesitation on the best route down we decided to take the road less travelled (story or our lives!). This took us though a valley that most tourists don't normally tread. So pleased we did. It lead past more monuments and burial caves as well as temples and a remarkable garden sanctuary.


As the time was ticking away we reluctantly made our way back on the high road overlooking the main colonnade we walked yesterday, past the Treasury Building and home to our hotel where our every-ready driver Mohammad II was waiting for us. A quick wash and it was back on the road to Amman - we were only semi exhausted as we had only walk 12 kilometers today (main up and down).


The three hour drive back to Amman was easy and took us through a new route via the desert and the phosphate factories (Jordan's main industry). We're now back in our Amman digs, bathed and ready to pop out for dinner.



About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.