Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

In the footsteps of Indiana Jones

JORDAN | Saturday, 24 October 2009 | Views [1218]

Jim and Nic at the Treasury Monument

Jim and Nic at the Treasury Monument

Thursday 22nd October

Petra


Petra was originally made famous by the Nabateans about 100 BC, then came the Romans in 106 AD, the Byzantines in the 5th Century and finally Steven Spielberg with Indian Jones and the Last Crusade in the 1980s.


What a day!


We were met by our local guide, Faisal, at 9:00am and headed into the city via the famous gully and rock causeways, called the Al-Siq finally emerging at the remarkabe Treasury Building. This is probably the most famous and recognised of the monuments in Petra. We continued on past the Roman Theatre and down the colonnade surrounded by monuments with intricate carvings that have lasted the centuries. What makes these stand out from all of the other old buildings one may see in their travels, is these are carved out of the solid and multifaceted rose coloured sandstone rock-faces. Masterpieces!


After lunch with Faisal we headed up, and up, and up ... to the monastery perched above the Al-Deir mountain, 800 steps from the ground. Huge in size, and beautifully awesome. From this point it's a short walk to a variety of lookouts where you can see across the deserts to Israel and the ancient caravan roads to Egypt and the north. Truly awe inspiring.


Then it was the long track back to the starting point, our hotel. We chose not to take the horse, camel, donkey or buggy option but to continue on foot right to the end. Twenty kilometers and eight hours later we arrived home bloody exhausted. But what an experience!


We had a quick shower followed by a lie down and then we were off to the hamman/Turkish bath. Oh boy, was that needed! It proved to be the most necessary part of the day. Ten minutes in the steam bath; shower off then we climbed onto two marble slabs to be scrubbed, loofaed, soaped and finally massaged for 40 minutes. Absolute bliss – the perfect end to the day. Finally another dinner at the restaurant recommended by our guide and then to bed. A remarkable day.


About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.