Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Men in Black at the Dead sea

JORDAN | Saturday, 24 October 2009 | Views [1168]

Nic havin' a float in the dead sea

Nic havin' a float in the dead sea

Wednesday 21st October

The Dead Sea


When we were planning the trip, Jim wanted to visit the ancient city of Petra. To do this we booked a three day “Intrepid Tours” adventure in Jordan. Actually, we had forgotten what it included so it's all a bit exciting.


Mohammad II and his magic carpet was at the hotel to pick us up at 9:00 am sharp for our first day of the tour ... we began with a drive to Madaba, the highlight being a 5th century Byzantine mosaic map of the Holy Land – incredible. It's housed in the St George church with a number of other significant Christian art works of that period.


Then it was off to Mount Nebo, the supposed resting place of good old, and we mean OLD, Moses. It's from this point that he looked out over the holy land towards Jericho, but he never made it. Anyway, if it's good enough for Moses, it's good enough for us.

The smell in the on-site toilets, as Kenny says, would outlast religion.


Then it was to the Dead Sea ... the lowest point on the earth. We had a quick (delicious) lunch and then changed into our bathers for a float in the water. What fun! Then it was time for the mud pack (see picture). Holy Nic and Jim in the Land... Oops – Nic and Jim in the Holy Land!


The trip south along the Dead Sea to Petra took us past where they think that Sodom and Gomorrah was. Evidently, in the Book of Genesis, God was a little a pissed with the locals' behavior and the final straw was when the Sodomites demanded to have sex with the angels who had been sent to visit them ... What can we say?


Continuing south, our guide decided to take us on the back route, or the scenic route into the city of Petra. Again, the most gobsmacking scenery that has to be seen to be believed. Through the Negav Desert and into the Rift Valley. Finally, late in the afternoon we came upon the town of Wadi Musa, which is the tourist centre on the edge of the Petra precinct. Our guide booked us into a Hammam for tomorrow night and the we headed to our hotel.


Jim kept telling Nic that this part of the trip was going to be a little lower class than the rest (basically a back packing expedition, with private driver and car) but we were shocked on arrival at our hotel – right next to the main entrance to Petra and the most beautiful room with a huge balcony overlooking the site. Obviously the travel gods share our sense of humour.


Today was filled with wonderment and delightful people. Jordan is perched next to some of the most dangerous countries in the world and yet it has remained a bastion of civility and tolerance. Everyone we meet is welcoming and friendly, including the cute check point guards who when they hear that we are Australians light up in huge smiles, greet us and wish us a good time and wave us on. It's funny, public physical affection is commonplace within sexes, and you see men kissing and holding hands without a second thought. Sad really, because they are an extremely good looking race, and these displays do not mean they are gay, so it's all a little distracting and to us gay westerners, a little misleading and frustrating. As the call to pray rings out over the valley, we reach for our cocktails and prepare to venture out to the local dinner hot-spot, recommended by Mohammed II (who knows a thing or two about good cheap eats).

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.