Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Mount Etna Cancelled - well almost!

ITALY | Saturday, 17 October 2009 | Views [384]

Mount Etna

Mount Etna

Thursday 16th October

Taormina


It was overcast and wet this morning and so our request for directions to Mount Etna was met with a certain amount of incredulity by the hotel staff. Nevertheless we pressed on.


The trip to Etna was filled with storms and driving rain. We too began to think that this was a bit of a quixotic quest, but it was our last chance to get up close and personal with a live volcano. The gods seems to be against it!


As we began to climb towards the mountain, we were pleased that the rain eased off. We got as far as the crater about two thirds of the way up, 1924 m above sea level. This is as far as you can go by car, then you have to take a gondola to the rim. Unfortunately, the said gondola was not running due to the inclement weather but still the vista was exciting. We were surrounded by black lava flows of past eruptions and were surprised about all the beautiful foliage and small villages. As we looked to the summit we were able to see that it was covered in snow ... didn't expect that either. We had coffee in a chalet and then decided to visit the nearby city of Catania, which we had researched and found had a gay boy-town. We arrived late in the afternoon, found it and left in the early evening, really not worth the visit! It was a slight diversion on a wet, cold day. Getting into Catania was pretty easy, getting out was not. We spent about half an hour driving around trying to find directions to the autostrada to get us back to Taormina. Finally, arrived home safely, happy to have had a bit of a glimpse of the famous Mount Etna. Pizza takeaway out on the lanai then off to ZZ land.

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.