Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Taormina Sicily

ITALY | Saturday, 17 October 2009 | Views [419]

NIc in the Town Park

NIc in the Town Park

Wednesday 14th October

Taormina


A spectacular sunrise bade our farewell to the lovable island of Lipari where we boarded the hydrofoil for the 1.5 hour boat ride to Messina. A quick, excellent local coffee before picking up our car then on to the autostrada for the drive to Taromina. The local coast road is closed due to the landslides still crippling this neck of the woods from last week. Evidence obvious the whole way along the coast, with even some lanes of the elevated autostrada closed due to flood damage. It must have been quite a downpour. Taormina was only a hour's drive, with its beauty surpassing even that of Portafino. We are definitely no longer in a small coastal fishing village, with spectacular panoramas at every turn and more high class designer stores that even the well-healed traveler could poke a stick at. A light rain forced us out of the streets and into a local wine bar for a panino and coke, then we checked into our hotel perched on a mountainside overlooking the ocean. With good books in hand, we retired into our freshly laundered bed and siestaed yet again.


Taormina was a suggestion from our friends in Byron, John and Craig and also Olga from Santa Sabina. We really didn't now anything about this beautiful town and are very happy to be here. Our hotel, the eponymous named Villa Schuller is full of Germans - go figure! The town is perched on the side of a mountain and is filled with quaint streets and ancient Roman and Greek sites ... all to be discovered over the next few days.


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.