Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Holiday week in Lipari

ITALY | Thursday, 15 October 2009 | Views [600]

Our balcony in Lipari

Our balcony in Lipari

Wednesday 7th October

Lipari


Our ferry to Lipari from Reggio did not leave until 1:30pm so we spent the morning by the hotel pool reading and taking in the rays.


The trip to Lipari, one of the Aeolian islands took us via Messina in Sicily and two other smaller islands. When we disembarked we were met by the gregarious Miguel, who is married to Carmela whom we are renting our apartment from. Miguel has very limited English but has a style all his own. As part of the deal of the apartment we were able to also hire his car, a Suzuki Swift for the week for an additional 140 Euros. We reckon' it was a great option.

On the way to dropping Miguel to his home he insisted on buying us gelati. It was pretty good too.


Our apartment is in the little village of Cannetto, about 4 kms from the main port of Lipari. We have a full kitchen and dining/lounge room, two bedrooms and the most important room of all – the balcony overlooking the Mediterranean sea. On moving in we moved the lounge out onto the balcony as we know that this is where we'll spend most time for the next week. The view is everything one could hope for from the Mediterranean – from the arched Italian window frame, elaborate cast iron balustrade, bougainvillea creeping in at the edges - it's got the lot!


The other excitement is being able to cook for ourselves. We stocked up at the supermarket and Nic made a 'to die for' antipasta plate and ravioli con fungi for the main course. All served with some local white wine.


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.