Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Reggio Calabria - home of the Yacopettis

ITALY | Wednesday, 7 October 2009 | Views [375]

View from our Reggio hotel

View from our Reggio hotel

Tuesday 6th October

Reggio Calabria


The Italian train system continues to challenge and entertain. Arriving at the Napoli Statzione Centrale with plenty of time to spare we noticed that our train to Reggio was on time ... but it wasn't our train – different number to the one on our ticket. By the time the train arrived the number had miraculously reconfigured itself to number correlating with ours, on the station monitor so, all was fine. But the entertainment was to continue. At about 20 minutes into the journey the ticket collector checked our tickets then asked us to move into the next car. Evidently they were unable to open the doors and we would have fly out the windows (in the worlds of a local Italian traveller). We asked the conductor to give us two seats next to each other “Si, Si Si” was the response. Of course the seats were in different rows. We sorted ourselves out in spite of the ministrations of the Italians Transport System. (It seems that we are also the only Tourists intending visiting Reggio today .... not a yank or pom to be heard .... should we be concerned?)


As we travel relentlessly ever further south towards the boot of Italy and the land of Giovanni, the Yacopettis and the Mafioso we're following the Mediterranean coastline, with it's beaches, rocky headlands and every present olive groves. It's now Autumn and all along the coast are empty beach side communities that look like ghost towns boarded up for the winter. It seems our week in Lipari is going to be REALLY relaxing. The weather is warm, the sun is shining, so we are happy. Internet connection is marginal...if you are reading this we've hit a 'hot spot', which are invariable fleeting! So for the next week we may be forced to sit on a beach and do nothing.

 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.