Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Pompeii

ITALY | Wednesday, 7 October 2009 | Views [418]

Versuvius over Pompeii

Versuvius over Pompeii

Monday 5th October

Pompeii


A very relaxing start with a 9:00am wake up followed by a lovely breakfast with gorgeous waiters. This may be a dirty town, but the men are handsome!


Our hotel is literally across the road from the train to Pompeii so that made life a little easier. We spent hours walking the roads of this magical place. At once, an exiting view of life two thousand years ago emerges, but at such a terrible price of human life... Vesuvius omnipresent in the background with it's top blown out and topped with clouds (we think and hope) . Highlights included the Colosseum, the beautiful frescoes and tiled floors and the plaster casts of the trapped victims. Also the bath house – very large and elegant; filled with beautiful mosaics, statues and a sophisticated system for heating the water. Just what we love.


We had a light lunch whilst sitting on a park bench created two thousand years ago. Ahhh – you can feel the history:)


As the sun set west over the Gulf of Naples we headed home on the train, exhausted but realising that we had had the privilege of spending a day in this remarkable ancient city.


Back for dinner tonight to a little local trattoria that we fell in love with last night. A dirty looking hole in the wall we'd describe as a sports 'bar', but with food to die for!


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.