Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Isle of Capri

ITALY | Wednesday, 7 October 2009 | Views [1397]

Jimbob on the Isle of Capri

Jimbob on the Isle of Capri

Sunday 4th October

Napoli


Travelling on the Italian rail system is certainly interesting. We booked our ticket from Florence to Naples a few days ago and thought nothing of it. On checking the ticket this morning we found that it was for Roma Central not Napoli Central. Confirming with the ticket lady, we did in fact have the correct ticket – it's written for the first stop, no the destination that you are going to - make any sense??? Then on board there was the usual ruckus with double bookings and people sitting in other's seats. Mind you, the first class carriage is filled with US, Australian and English tourists (we're keeping a low profile), not an Italian to be found.


Checked into the hotel and then immediately caught a taxi to the port to catch a high speed catamaran ferry to the Isle of Capri. Unfortunately we had too little time here, not being able to take a trip to the Blue Grotto. But we did catch the funicular to the town of Capri -a myriad of small, enclosed alley ways that led to ever more outstanding panoramas. We kept heading higher and higher and passing more and more elaborate villas. We can see why Emperor Tiberius chose this place for a little holiday shack. So too Bellosconi.


The guide books say that Naples is the dirtiest of cities – well it's true!! We couldn't believe the crap on the streets, literally ... it's like no one has cleaned the streets in the past four years. Mind you, the people are friendly and welcoming. This evening headed into boy-town. We didn't really know the exact location but Jim's nose for a gay site finally got us there successfully. Lots of friendly boys who were very excited to hear that we were from Australia. Jim outdid himself by slipping down the stairs – suddenly surrounded by boys offering help to pick him up – pathetic how he has to be the centre of attention :) Fortunately Nic was otherwise occupied and not there to witness the spectacle or to assist!


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.