Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Big night out in Florence

ITALY | Sunday, 4 October 2009 | Views [406] | Comments [1]

Nic in Piazza de la Signoria

Nic in Piazza de la Signoria

Saturday 3rd December


A little slower this morning after both of us are suffering slightly from the night before. (Damn that Italian beer and those cocktails on the balcony).


We visited the Botanical gardens that are only minutes from our Monastery and knew that they were begun the 15th century. On approaching the entrance, there is a huge sign touting the gardens as being “the oldest Botanical Gardens in the world”. Now that's impressive. But when we entered and paid for the guide book, we discovered that they were in fact the third oldest botanical gardens after Pisa and Padua. Hmmmmm. (and they weren't particularly impressive). Nic says that it's the Italian birthright to covert and bend the truth. Tough words but true. Tougher words are that Italians steal and lie!


Our wanderings continued through the streets of the old city and we ended up at Santa Croce, the remarkable pantheon of all things great about the Italians. We spent many hours here and the audio guide helped to reinforce our understanding of the architectural and artist developments of this remarkable city.


Now it's time to say goodbye to Galleries and Churches for a week or two – getting close to overload.


Siesta time now before another night in boy town. We been invited to a Leather/Rubber/Uniform/Skin/Military party beginning at 10:00pm – but what will we wear?!!!!! Nic has his green cargo greens and a black tea shirt. Jim, well, might be left at the door or sent back to the monastery.

Comments

1

well what did you wear?
Where are the photos?
Can I send you photos?
We have had the school formals.

  Margaret Golding Oct 7, 2009 5:52 PM

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.