Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Uffizzi madness

ITALY | Sunday, 4 October 2009 | Views [431]

close up in dome - hell, surely where we're headed :)

close up in dome - hell, surely where we're headed :)

Friday 2nd October

Florence


Breakfast in the monastery was very good. We should mention that this is a three (European) star monastery that sends around the bell boy when you ring for ice to go with your afternoon aperitif on our grand balcony.


We decided to begin our day with the 437 step journey to the top of the Duomo. There are a few staging (or staggering) points along the way to let you get your breath and have a close up look at some of the mighty frescoes that adorn the ceiling of the cathedral. On reaching the top of the stairs you are greeted with an awesome view of the city. But we had to keep going as we were booked into the Uffizi museum for the 11:30 showing ( just us and 32,000 others)!


The bulk of today was given over to visiting the Uffizi Palace. Huge, exhausting, overpowering and very tiring. Ok, the art was good too. We caught up with a lovely Canadian couple, Mike and Vickie whom we met in the Academia yesterday and joined them for lunch after the Uffizi.


We continued our wanderings through the streets of Florence and finally collapsed for a bit of a siesta before venturing out again. We decided to go out tonight in search of the famed Florentine boy-town. Yep is does exist, sort of. A fun night was had and back to the monastery for a well earned rest.


Ps congratulations to Rio on winning the 2016 Olympics. Romi we're thinking of you!


About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.