Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Firenza

ITALY | Sunday, 4 October 2009 | Views [544]

Il Duomo

Il Duomo

Thursday 1st October

Firenza


On arrival in Florence, we headed to our hotel recommended, again, by Andy in Berlin; the Hotel Morandi alla Crocetta. This beautiful old building began as a Dominican convent/monastry; started by Sister Dominica of Paradise who had developed a reputation for sanctity The connection is clear – Jim works for a Dominican school in Sydney and he's known to be quite sanctimonious as well .


On arrival we were met by the elderly concierge, Frank. When he looked at our Australian passports he mentioned that one of his best friends was a judge from Australia ... of course it was Jane Matthews, a good friend of our neighbours in Sydney, John and Denis.

Frank ordered us out immediately to view the David statue at the Academia as he was sure there would not be too big a line at that time of the day. The interesting thing about this gallery is the obvious splendor of the David statue but also the four incomplete statues of Michelangelo called 'The Slaves'. Another bonus was an exhibition of Maplethorpe photographs that were spread through the gallery. Fun to note a comment in the guest book that relegated the combining of Maplethorpe with Michelangelo as 'a sacrilege'. We of course loved it and the juxtaposition of the old and new artists and art forms, given the similarities of both their subject matter, styles and lifestyles – both raving homos - was fascinating.


Dinner at a local trattoria then to bed in the monastery.


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.