Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Shit happens

ITALY | Sunday, 4 October 2009 | Views [429] | Comments [2]

Having a shit of a day

Having a shit of a day

Wednesday 31st September

Venice


Some days can just go from bad to worse. During our visit to the Archaeological Museum off St Marks Square, Nic noticed a very interesting Roman relief; a sculpture of a bull being stabbed by a big fella (who also has his fingers unceremoniously up the nose of the tortured beast), at the same time he is being bitten by a snake, meanwhile a dog is going in for a big bite at the site of the stab wound, and to top it off, a scorpion is biting his balls. Talk about kicking someone when they are down!


We spent most of the day visiting the final three museums of St Marks Square: the Correr, the Archaeological and the Biblioteca Nazionale. This was followed by a visit to a little cafe that provided, arguably, the best coffee of the trip so far. We're falling for espresso.


Tonight we took the boat bus along the grand canal to view the lights of the city .... ahhh romantic Venice. (wheeen the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, it's amore!)


Dinner was also a a highlight. On our wandering though the streets we stumbled into a small restaurant filled with mostly locals and only a few tourists. We ended up with another best meal of the trip. A simple octopus salad between us to start followed by the best lasagna ever tasted and a grilled seafood platter to die for. All washed down with a bottle of Pino Grigio. The wait staff also added a little sangria to begin and some home made grappa (fire water) to finish. We happily stumbled home to our hotel just off the square.


Venice has been a real treat and a place to wander for hours. Certainly not the gayest city in the world (although all the designer stores are here to suggest otherwise) but nevertheless, a real beauty and a memorable entre to Italy.

Comments

1

The eagle has landed!!

  Margaret Golding Oct 7, 2009 5:42 PM

2

Hi Guys,
Are the messages I send you read by the entire world ?
or just you guys.?
Hence the criptic message I just sent
Love you both
Marg

  margaret Golding Oct 7, 2009 5:44 PM

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.