Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Portafino with Sergio

ITALY | Tuesday, 29 September 2009 | Views [296]

Sunday 20th September

Portofino


Sergio planned that we would visit Portofino today. After the big night out we all slept late and finally got on the road at midday.

Portofino is a beautiful as it's legend. Today was overcast so there did not seem to be as many tourists around. Sergio told stories of coming here in the high season and being turned away at the city outskirts because there were too many cars in the town. Luckily for us, this did not happen.


We walked the streets of the town and up to the castle overlooking the port. For lunch we had pizza at San Margarita, another gorgeous seaside town. On the way back to Genova we took the coast road that wound through less famous but beautiful townships and ports nonetheless. We stopped at the the tiny town of Camerlia, famous for it's dragon fishing boat and quaint old port. An amazingly picturesque part of the world.


Tonight Sergio treated us to a home cooked meal of local delicacies. Pasta, Peso, two local types of prosciutto and two buffalo mozzarella cheeses...need to be tasted to be believed– all washed down with some local whites. Very sad to say farewell to Genova, Sergio (and the ghost of Paolo) as this has been a little unexpected bonus on our road to discovery of Italy.


About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.