Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Genoa

ITALY | Tuesday, 29 September 2009 | Views [257]

Saturday 19th September

Genova


Six thirty am is a seriously ugly time to wake up , but we have to be on our way again. Presently we're on the express train from Zürich to Milano and then onto Genova. The train is not quite as spectacular as the German/Swiss ones, but it will do. The speed is also a little slower as we have to negotiate the alps. Picture postcard vistas all around – Swiss chalets, green fields with cows, jutting mountains interspersed with long long tunnels – it's all here. To see the alps with blue skies, clouds and fog touching the peaks of mountains, glacial aqua, crystal-clear streams - it's simply a dream come true. Our plan was to nap, but just too much to look at.


We arrived in good time in Genova and were met by our new friend from Barcelona, Sergio. He lives in the old city in a beautifully renovated (think gay, think Italian) 4th floor apartment behind the Red Palacio on the Via Garibaldi, another UNESCO site. We really had no idea of the beauty of this part of the world. And we were expecting a simple little fishing town!


Tonight we were invited to join Sergio at a friend's 40th birthday party in the old port. A fun night with lots of lovely people who made the best efforts to include us, despite the language barrier.


About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.