Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

The Gift of Zurich

SWITZERLAND | Tuesday, 29 September 2009 | Views [738]

Friday 18th September

Zürich


This morning we awoke early to ready ourselves for the adventure ahead ... only we didn't quite know what or where that was. Norbert and Gerd have planned our day and it's a big surprise.


We very reluctantly said our goodbyes to Gerd at the house. Norbert then drove us to the train station and handed us an envelope. Contained within was a 1st class ticket to Zürich, a voucher for the five star Hotel Opera (bed and breakfast), two tickets to tonight's performance of Don Giovanni at the Zürich Opera House and 100 Swiss Francs to deal with the taxi ride to and from the hotel. What can we say? We are blessed with wonderful friends and look forward to the chance to host them in Australia in the, hopefully, not too distant.


As we speed across the German country side and head for the Switzerland, we leave Germany with heavy hearts. Andy, Norbert and Gerd, have all enriched our lives in so many ways. Once again, thank you all if you happen to be reading this. You guys rock - please come down under and play soon!


We arrived in Zürich at 1:00pm and headed straight to the Hotel Opera as per our instructions. A beautiful hotel right next to the opera house and one block from the lake.


We headed out to pick up the opera tickets and then to walk the quaint and picturesque streets. Highlights being the Grossmunster (double dildo cathedral – obvious when you see it), the lovely Lindenhof park, the beautiful Zürichsee (lake) and the narrow lanes that wind their way through the city. Every imaginable luxury store is here and prices that need to be seen to be believed. The cars here, too, are almost exclusively luxury. Mazzarati, Mercedes, BMW Austin Martin etc .... not like down town Petersham!


Lunch was a wurst by the lake. Two sausages at a road-side stall will set you back $40 Aus. Tasty nonetheless. Then we headed onto the ferris wheel near the opera house for a birds eye view of the city. Gorgeous!


A night at the opera ... what to wear? As we are travelling lite we really don't have a spare dinner suite between us. Nic did, however, get the change to air his “good” black pants for the first time on the journey.


We began with a complimentary glass of champagne at the Hotel Opera Restaurant and then meandered across the road to the Opera House. Somehow, Norbert and Gerd had secured us two of the best seats in the house at a very short notice. How did they do this?


The house is a small opera theatre that has a stunning baroque interior and was packed for the performance. It was fun to be able to see the orchestra in front of the stage rather than hidden in the pit as at the Sydney Opera House.


The performance was sublime, a mixture of Mozart's enchanting music and outstanding performances. We both left the theatre with grins from ear to ear babbling about our favourite parts and scenes. Norbert and Gerd, how can we ever thank you? And to add to the German generosity, thanks boys for the new i-pod Nano. This has solved our music shortfall and with the aid of the Italians (ie Sergio), we know have 36 hours of gay anthems all in equipment less than the size of a matchbox. Bless you all!


Surprisingly, Zürich turned out to have a buzzy nightlife. After the opera we headed out into boytown and had a fun time, finally crashing into our super comfortable bed at 1:00am. What a day!


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.