Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Barcelona - we love it!

SPAIN | Sunday, 23 August 2009 | Views [710] | Comments [2]

Part 2


Europe


Friday 21st August

Barcelona, Spain


It's 9:00pm and we have both had our first taste of the Northern Hemisphere twilight. We have a lovely apartment in the centre of town and from our balcony we can see over the rooftops to that remarkable tribute to incompletion, Gaudi's Segrade Familia. It stands there with cranes around it, still not finished after more than 100 years, but nevertheless a remarkable work of art. Tomorrow we will explore.


We both collapsed this afternoon, suffering from our first bout of jet lag.


We headed out into the town at about 10 pm to have an explore and arrived home at about 2:00am after fun and dinner. The place is still buzzing.


Saturday22nd August

Barcelona


OOPS – we slept in until 11:30am. We must still be on Rio time. Today was Gaudi day. After a bit of advice from one of the boys staying in our apartment block we purchased a 2-day tourist bus pass that allows us to travel throughout the city for the next two days. All we really saw were two Gauid triumphs; the Cathedral and Guell park. The Segrade Familia must be one of the greatest triumphs of architecture of the past 100 years, and it's still being built. They say it will be finished in 20 years. If it is in our lifetime then we will come back at it's completion. We followed the cathedral with a visit to the Park Guell, which is another Gaudi icon. Breath taking.


As we have access to a kitchen and beautiful balcony, we decided to eat in tonight. A lovely local wine, dinner on the balcony and to early bed (11pm, but still early for Barcelona) – very tired little bunnies. Travel can be tiring!

 

Comments

1

Lovely to hear that you are in Europe - Barthelona sounds wonderful. I think John and Dennis are in Bayreuth - Wagnering I suppose, so I wonder if Europe can cope with all these Petersham people at the one time??

  Janet Aug 24, 2009 1:35 PM

2

My first and so far only time there I was at a hotel on the very square where the Sagrada Familia. It is remarkable. Good memories. Have a fantastic time there and if you have time go the Champangenrie which is by the docs. :O)))))))

xxxx

  Romicyro Aug 25, 2009 2:09 PM

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.