Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

"I love your Freakles"!

BRAZIL | Thursday, 20 August 2009 | Views [557]

St Francis Church Downtown Rio

St Francis Church Downtown Rio

Tuesday 18th August

Rio

We were picked up by our beautiful guide, Carolina, and taken on one last of her personal tours. She decided that we needed to have a look at the beaches string of beautiful beaches of Salvador, conveniently on the way to the airport.


As we travel we are lucky to meet some truly beautiful people. Our guide and friend Carolina is one of these people. She generously shared her love of her city, personality and sheer zest for life and we were so sad to say goodbye to her when she dropped us off. Who knows, one day maybe she will be our guest in Australia?


Our return to Rio was a little more interesting than we expected. Our driver was pulled over in a routine police road stop and he then had to pay a bribe to (the unfriendly and heavily armed policeman) get through it – interesting to see how corruption works at a very basic level in this county.


It's nice to be back on Copacabana beach and tonight we met up for dinner with another new friend Romi, whom we had met last time we were here. We began with drinks at the Copacabana Palace. This is a land mark Copacabana hotel that was built in 1911. We had caparinas by the pool and Romi treated us to stories of the history of the hotel and Copacabana. It was like having our own personal guide. Dinner was at the local Lebanese restaurant that Romi suggested. We sat on the side walk and watched the world go by in this vibrant part of the city. During the meal, Romi leaned over the table, grabbed Jim's arm and exclaimed “I love your Freakles”! After a moments pause, we both realised what he meant and exploded into laughter. Oh, the subtleties of language and pronunciation! Evidently, they don't see a lot of peoples with 'freckles' in Rio.


Wednesday 19th August

Rio


Downtown today. We ventured into the local subway system and headed downtown to the centre of Rio. Romi had given us an itinerary to follow on our journey in the city. First stop was the Opera House that is being refurbished. It was designed by the same man who designed the Paris Opera so that will give you an idea of what it looks like. Then to the National Library and the Justice Museum that now contains revolving art exhibitions. Outstanding and challenging contemporary artworks in a beautiful historic building. The rest of the day was spent touring the market area. This rabbit warren of streets and alleys filled with smells and sounds was a real treat. We even broke our 'don't purchase' rule and picked up a few shirts and a pair of shorts for Jim. The shop assistant was a a little surprised when Jim (though sign language) indicated that he would wear the new shorts out of the shop and leave the old ones there in the garbage bin. I suspect they did not stay there for long after we left. What an Australian might consider to be old and finished would not be how the poor of Brazil would see it. One last stop in the most beautifully romantic and charming cafe ever for a coffee and sugar dusted custard filled donut completed the trip. A night out on the town, finished off at our favorite restaurants in Ipanema (called Fronteria) topped off another great day. This place is fabulous. You grab a plate, fill it up from th AMAZING selection of dishes from the most beautiful buffet, have it weighed, then pay. It's charming, filed with locals, cheap and truly delicious. We will miss this place.


Thursday 20th August

Rio


Today ends the second phase of the adventure. The most common response to us when we have said we were going to Rio was, “Be careful” And so we have been careful. But what people failed to also mention was that the people would be so joyous and friendly. Whether in tourism or just meeting people, we have been welcomed, befriended and helped by everyone we have come in contact with.


As we look out our hotel window we see that it's raining and blustering outside. Must be time to go.

 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.