Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

3 degrees below the Equator - boys go troppo

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 18 August 2009 | Views [789]

The Boys go Troppo

The Boys go Troppo

Saturday 15th August

The Amazon

We spent about 2 hours with a local Indian tribe today. They began by performing a variety of rituals that culminated with our group joining them in dance. It was hot and humid but we all got into the spirit and the smiles and laughter on everyones' faces was infectious. Our guide then thought it would be fun to paint our faces in the local fashion, complete with feather headdresses. Then back to the big for a shower, beer and luncheon followed by the absolutely needed siesta in the heat of the day.


At 4:00pm our adventurous little expedition headed back into the flat bottomed canoes to track down the dreaded and piranha fish. Our guides know of an excellent fishing spot and we reached it via the floating islands. These are floating masses of vegetation primarily wild sugar cane and trees that float in the river and form huge islands. The locals have developed a whole system of floating houses, schools, shops and even a disco. Amazing!


We arrived at the secret fishing spot after about 60 minutes of boating and we were all given a basic fishing pole – bamboo, line and hook. The technique for piranha fishing is quite simple – shove the rod in the water, make a lot of noise splashing with it and the let the line sink into the water. Viola! The group caught over 30 of the little (and not so little) buggers. Jim caught caught a respectable two but, alas, Nic was unable to add to the groups total. Karma for an ex vegetarian!


On the return to the canoe we again went spot lighting and were able to capture a baby cayman (local crocodile) to have a look at up close and personal.


We dined on Piranha soup and fish. We were exhausted.

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.