Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Canoeing Down the Amazon

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 18 August 2009 | Views [1269]

Our Canoe down the Amazon

Our Canoe down the Amazon

Thursday 13th August

The Amazon

Our trip to the Amazon was a little more involved than we expected. It started at 4:00am with a drive to the airport, two planes, another car and finally a tender boat and we were at our Big Canoe (The Amazon Desafio) that would take us down the Rio Negro and the Amazon River for the next 4 days. Thankfully we had a private berth with en suite on the boat so it shouldn't be too stressful.


We headed off from Manaus for a 2 hour trip up the Rio Negro (the black river). By late afternoon we had set anchor in a small inlet and then boarded the tender (little) canoes that took us into the waters ways for our first trip into the Amazon region. We were able to move into these amazing waterways with ease as the recent rains had swollen the river. We discovered a variety of local flora and fauna and as it grew dark our guides produced spot lights to highlight birds and other objects of interest. We returned to The Desafio when it was dark and were greeted by the big canoe festooned with lights from stern to aft. Dinner in the dining room was spectacular and then we headed off to our stateroom to collapse after along day.

 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.