Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Ipanema Beach Boys

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 11 August 2009 | Views [1656] | Comments [1]

Sunday 9th August

Ipanema Beach

You often hear about how sexy Brazilians are – ok it's true. We spent today on Ipanema Beach. The beach itself is 4 kilometers of white sand, crystal clear water, more (groin) packages than you can imagine, sun drenched bodies playing volley ball and beach soccer and an array of hawkers who provide every possible delight to meet the needs of the beach goers. Later in the day we met up with a lovely local, Romi – the English teaching, tarot card reading, dietitian (and cute as) local. Romi gave us a heads up on some local attractions and we hope to meet up again on our return after our trip to the Amazon. A Fab day.


Monday 10th August

Copacabana Beach

The day began with a visit to the Stern diamond exhibition in Ipanema. There we met the lovely Manual (one of the staff) who recognised one of the family and spent time advising us with some more local knowledge. He even advised us to go to one of the other parks that Romi had suggested we visit last night. We also chatted with an American lad who was visiting the Stern gallery who had traveled to Sydney recently and raved about the Midnight Shift – it's nice to see that the International Gay Mafia is alive and well. Then it was off to the Botanical Gardens – we were both a little underwhelmed but it was worth the visit. The real gem was the park that both Romi and Manual had advised we visit, just a few blocks from the botanical gardens. It's call Parque Lage and is the home of the Fine Arts School that was originally a private residence built by a local for his Italian opera singer wife in the 1920s. We had coffee and walked through the gardens and home – we love viewing life's follies- Pure passion - Loved it! Great coffee, wonderful to see real local artist's refining their craft, amidst an incredibly beautiful historic mansion and surrounded by a tropical garden. A great experience.


We ended the day, once again, on Ipanmea beach that was interrupted as the sun was going down by a very sudden wind storm. Out of nowhere came a gigantic wind that sent beach umbrellas flying and people running. Hee hee! A beach full of screaming queens is a sight to behold! The Brazilians are very organized – they put up huge gay flags to let you know where to go on the beach, and, you guest it, the packed part of the beach is where the gay flags are.


We were a bit challenged at first by the city , but it's growing on us.


Comments

1

Hi guys,
Lovely to hear from you! And seeing you guys enjoy Rio! Enjoy also all the leg spaces at the planes cause in Spain you will have less! And you will hate it! Be prepared! But nevertheless we will be waiting for you as 2 little sunshines! And NO it will not be 21 degrees! Shorts and shirtless heading for Spanish family! hahaha
Enjoy and just counting the days!!! to give you guys a big hug!

  Paul and Dennis Aug 11, 2009 6:00 PM

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.