Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Winter in Rio!

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 11 August 2009 | Views [522]

Friday 7th August

Rio De Janeiro

BLOODY HELL – it's winter in Rio. The flight from Miami was painless to say the least. Jim had lots of leg room and the flight went like a dream. We arrived to overcast weather and when we left the plane we were hit with 21 degrees. This as a shock after the steamy weather of Key West. Key points that hit one on arrival here: unmatched natural beauty (from stunning mountains to gorgeous men and women – wearing very little), and in-you-face poverty. People in the middle of the freeways, selling biscuits and whatever, failing infrastructure, general organised madness everywhere. Not sure what to think.

We checked into the hotel (very nice, right on the beach) and had to have a bit of a nap before venturing onto the streets of Rio. We have been warned by everyone of the dangers of Rio so our first venture onto the streets was to cross the road and enjoy the sites of Copacabana beach. By the time we got there the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. The very worst meat sandwich on the beach with trinket sellers spoiling any sense of the Aussie concept of beach = relaxation. The beach however, puts Manly Beach to shame. Long, clean and FAB -U-LOUS. You know you have arrived on a famous icon. Later we had dinner in Ipanema at a Japanese restaurant – great food.


Saturday 8th August

Copacabana.

Today we did the full day tour of the sites of Rio. We started early with a pick up from the hotel and tour to the 'Big Jesus' also known in the local gay vernacular as 'Christina' but generally known as Christ the Redeemer. The trip up Corcovador is via a train from the base and it's very steep. Packed, stunning, with added atmosphere provided by local musician setting the scene with banjos, drums and metals cabasa's. Once you arrive at the top the view is spectacular – across the whole of the city. Here we met up with Favio from Italy who was also on our tour and traveling in Brazil by himself. Lovely lad. We headed down the mountain and, we thought, back to our hotel but to our surprise we were told that we were booked for lunch and the full day tour – we chose not to argue and off to lunch we went. There we met up with two Irish lasses who were traveling in Brazil for 3 weeks. Irish travelers are very much like Australians – adventurous and traveling often. In the afternoon we toured through the downtown district including the amazing Saint Sebastian Cathedral, which was built in the '70s. This amazing structure looked like a giant inverted shuttlecock.

Then it was to Sugarloaf Mountain. To reach this we traveled via two cable cars and the view, again, was remarkable. We were lucky enough to be there to see the sun go down and it was the end of a wonderful day. Off to bed, happy but exhausted.


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.