Existing Member?

Jim and Mary's blog

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon

USA | Monday, 25 March 2013 | Views [332] | Comments [1]

Or going down is optional and going up is compulsory.

Creationists should be compelled to visit the Grand Canyon. Due to a particular friek in geological history the GC has a casm about a mile deep with overlaying stratas. This provides a unique timeline of the the progress of natural history as well the more obviios geological formations. Creationists believe that God created the world in one go and that was about 6000 BC. They would then need to explain the complex overlay of rocks of many different types and placed at different angles. Many have preserved images of of animal life through the fossil record. The creationists have a lot to explain. I would not bother to give time to such a bizarre explanation of the origins of the world. Unfortunately our current education ministe Michael Gove has made it possible that such frieky ideas will recieve a state subsidy in their propagation with the free schools policy. They will have agreed to teach the "theory" of evolution. This will be set against the "fact" of creationism. In most modern democracies religions have to provide their own schools and religious bias is not allowed to pervade the carriculum. 

Enough of my rant. My first view of the GC took my breath away. I am not a one for hyperbolie but the pictures you have all seen do not lie except they do not provide the changes of texture and light and colours that seeing them be does. We have done a couple of trips into the canyon. Unfortunately we wil not be able to get tobthe bottom. It is strongly advised that it is not possible to do it in one day. Overnigbt permits are required if you want to camp and these need to be organised well in advance. The alternative is to go by donkey but there is a two year waiting list. The park is well.organised with good information and well maintained tracks. They tend to get quite busy but not on Ben Nevis standards so are quite pleassnt. The climbs back are not too are made at a comfortable incline.

I wish to again apologise for the orientation of some of the pictures but the correction on this web site does not seem to work too well.

 

 

 

Comments

1

Enjoyed the rant! Are you sure you weren't a teacher in a former life Jim?
Abit behind with the blog, so donig a catch up today.

  Alison Mar 29, 2013 11:39 PM

About jimandmary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.