Existing Member?

Jim and Mary's blog

Banks Peninsula Track or the loneliness of the long distance loos

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 28 February 2013 | Views [309]

They definitely don't want you relieving your bowels on their beautiful land. Gory details are given of the problems that can be generated if you do relieve yourself in the wrong places. I was taught as a cub scout, and it came straight of the Bafen Powell handbook Scouting for Boys, that it wad ok as long asit was not near a water course and it was buried. Timed have changed, but I come from a time when it was acceptef you bath once a week. Anyway back to our walk. As you can see from the photos this a beautiful place. We met some Christchurch people, Frederick and Diane who were great company for the first daynof our walk. They were describing the effects of the earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. The centre of the city was devastated. The were in bed at the time of the first one and Diane had been drilled throughout her school years as to what to do. In her case she got under a table. They described the sound as like a very heavy lorry going past but much greater vibration. Frederick is a restaurant manager who's premises have never reopened and they had to find somewhere else. They re open next month after 2 years.

 The Banks Peninsula walk is in fact provided by a private company as are most of the major tracks in NZ. This is an arrangement that is unknown, as far as I know in the UK. The consequence is you can only go on such walks ig you book them in advance. You are forced to use accommodation provided by them as there is no other and unauthorised camping is verboten. No good if you are poor and want a cheap walking holiday. The first night we slept in the stargazer hut with a window to the skies but we fell asleep too soon to appreciate the stars. 

I am sorry that the photos are coming out  in the wrong orientation but I am unable to correct them as the photo rotation does not work.

About jimandmary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.