Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

Merry Christmas from Goa

INDIA | Saturday, 19 December 2009 | Views [741] | Comments [7]

Dear All,

Dan and I have set up camp at Arambol beach, Goa. May stay indefinitely….tempted at least.

Goa is a very small state on the Western Coast of India, below Mumbai. We arrived at one of the bigger, resort style beaches centrally and decided that definitely wasn’t what we were looking for. Met some other travellers who suggested Arambol. For us, it’s the perfect combination of beautiful beach, few shops and restaurants and a some other travellers to chat to.

Were staying in a beach hut made of bamboo, wood and the walls are some kind of reed. Theres a double bed and mozzie net, porch and a small bathroom with cold water. The cold water comes from a black tank so its not that cold, but because of the heat its refreshing anyway. The best part about our hut is that its ON the beach, takes 30 seconds to get to the water. I’m laying on our bed looking out the window at the ocean now, its perfect.

There are plenty of tourists around however majority of the tourists are Russian (never expected that), there are also plenty of hippies wandering around smoking…cigarettes of course. There’s a huge notice board in town offering everything from yoga lessons to “awareness” classes (not sure what that actually is) to herbal medicine. Dan and I have stuck to good old fashioned relaxing on the beach.

We have breakfast at the hotel restaurant, which is the nextdoor hut that has no windows so we look straight onto the beach with the breeze. Dans been having eggs on toast and fresh pineapple juice and I’ve been having fruit salad (watermelon, madarin, pawpaw, pineapple, banana and strawberry) with yoghurt and honey. From brekkie we set up on the beach under and umbrella and lay in the sun, swim, lay in the sun and then swim. It’s been hardwork.

Although there are a decent number of tourists, there are still plenty of locals going about everyday activities. We watched the fisherman hauling in huge nets today, we think they were herring. There were also huge sea eagles hovering above catching the strays. There’s been more than sea eagles though, there are beautiful green birds in the tree behind us, a squirrel that pops its head in our hut each morning, the friendly stray dog that sleeps on our porch, huge black and red butterflies, beautiful kingfisher birds and we’ve been watching the dophins! Dan spotted them from the shore on the first day and ever since we’ve watched them jumping around.

Goa was owned by the Portugese till the 1960’s so there are a large number of Christians which means for us Christmas celebrations and they eat BEEF!!! Majority of India is Hindu and therefore the cow is sacred and most definitely not eaten. However in Goa they don’t have a problem with beef. We found an amazing restaurant that serves great steak, roast potatoes and apple pie! So although dan lost a little weight in hopsital, I’m sure he wont have any trouble replacing it.

Not just the beef, but Goa is renowned for its seafood. Along the streets there are fisherman that work with the restaurants. Tonight dan and I choose a 3kg Red Snapper that was grilled and served with chips and salad. It was amazing fish with crispy skin and very very tasty and fresh. So we definitely wont be losing weight.

Havn’t spent all our days lounging on the beach though, on Tuesday we hired a scooter and drover inland past massive abandoned portugese buildings and little villages to the train station to buy train tickets (we leave from Hampi on the 27th December and then onto Bangalore late on the 1st January). The next day we took the scooter 25km down the coast to Anjuna, where there is a weekly market. We didn’t know exactly where it was but once we saw the stream of traffic it was easy to work out, it was the hugest market I have ever seen. There were the usual tshirts, saris, cotton pants, spices, flashy jewellery and other bits and pieces, but there were also some really nice stalls selling hand made goods. The morning was hot and sticky at the market so we took our little scooter to beach and spent the rest of the arvo in the sun (:

We have one more week here in our hut at Arambol, so we will be here for Christmas. Were still in discussions whether it will be steak or lobster (they don’t do surf & turf in India) for Christmas lunch.

Hope all is well, love always jess xox

P.S We wish all our family and friends a safe Merry Christmas and that Santa brings you all many presents. love always jess and dan xoxo

Comments

1

Hi Jess and Dan so great to hear you are having such a wonderful time in India. The relaxing lifestyle you are living at the moment sounds amazing and I am sure you will make the most of it. Xmas sounds like it will be as it should, full of good food, relaxing environment and a bit of indulgence. We wish both the best for Christmas and the New Year and are so looking forward to seeing you in the flesh early next year. Enjoy. Love always Basso's xxxxx

  Gai Basso Dec 19, 2009 6:38 PM

2

hi jess and dan glad to hear you are working soooo hard on the beach sounds divine i got your card and star today, monday thank you its lovely .
i also wish you both a very merry christmas and a happy new year. i can,t wait to see you both in the new year in feb i believe.
love nana xxxx and gemma woof

  nan Dec 21, 2009 9:14 PM

3

Hi Jess and Dan, just remembered that while we were talking you asked if I had been on the blog (and then we got side tracked with something else)so I,m glad you mentioned it cos I havent checked it for awhile.
Goa sounds beautiful and I'm glad you are taking the time to sit back and relax for awhile. The seafood sounds very nice but I'm sure which ever one you choose for xmas lunch it will be beautiful.

Enjoy Christmas, it will be one to remember always. Looking forward to speaking to you then. Love you lots and lots.

Love Mum xoxoxoxo

  mandy hetherington Dec 22, 2009 9:31 PM

4

Dear Jess & Dan, we wish you both a very Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year, love the sound of Goa how relxing. e are already for Christmas (Ihope-what I haven't got nowwe will go without!!!!) Its Christmas eve 7 o'clock in the evening so not much point in worrying. I have startedto read A Time Travellers Wife, there was 77 of us lined up at the library waiting to read it. Have found it a little hard to get into, but its getting better. Many thanks for the star it looks lovely on the tree next to theone you sent us last year. Have had mangoes for the last couple of weeks, can you get them where you are? They are just beautiful juicy and sweet, watch that saliva on the computer. Don't think we will have a hot Christmas only 22 just nice to sit and eat and eat and eat. Only 5 of us this year; going down in nos., at the table at our place, Bec will be able to eat all the choc mints herself!!!! We'll be thinking of you love you both, have agreat Christmas G'Ma & G'Paxoxoxox

  val and mick Dec 24, 2009 7:12 PM

5

Hi my 2 beautiful kids:)
It all sounds so relaxing. I am trying to imagine it. What a great way to have spent christmas day. I just saw your blog today. We are getting ready to head down to "Rosebud". I don't think it is like Goa but I will spend my time on the beach reading a good book because this next week is surposed to be great weather. The 'boy's' are coming with us so they can go for a swim every night after 7pm. Christmas day for very relaxing here. I didn't do much , dad did heaps. There was 10 of us and in the late afternoon we went to Mark and Margo's for seafood dinner.....yum. Anyway as you are moving on please stay safe and well. Pretty soon I can say "they will be back this year". Not many sleeps now. Love you and have a great New Year.
Ma and Pa......

  Tina Dec 27, 2009 11:06 AM

6

Hello Jess and Dan, Cheryl Johnstone here from this summer at Faskally park, space number 43...HAPPY NEW YEAR...AND SO GOOD TOO SEE THAT YOU TWO ARE HAVING GREAT ADVENTURES, SCOTLAND IS COLD AND ICY!

MUCH HAPPY TRAVELS

CHERYL AND SANDY

  CHERYL AND SANDY JOHNSTONE Dec 27, 2009 2:59 PM

7

Merry Christmas you two!!!
Hope you had a fantastic time in the sun with the seafood!!
James and I were at my place Christmas day, then over to James' Boxing day, not too busy :)
Hope santa made it to india, if not you'll prob have to wait til Feb!!!
hope you're having a blast
much love
Lauren
xx

  Lauren Dec 28, 2009 7:22 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.