Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

the tour of rome begins...

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 23 April 2008 | Views [559] | Comments [1]

began today with italian breakfast..coffee and crossaints, i definately could live like an italian!

We booked a walking tour of the main sights in rome, that began at 2, so we wandered through the city, had panini(kinda like foccacias) for lunch. Today was really cold, not sure if its because the weather in greece was so good and today was jst a little chilly or because we are moving up in europe and getting colder.

The tour began at piazza navona, a big square in rome. Moved on to the parthenon, which the photos will never be able to capture how big the inside is. From the parthenon onto the Pallazzo Venezia, Palatino, several triumph arches-built to celebrate warriors victories. Also saw the main roman ruins, they are right in the middle of the city, life just goes on around them. They include the old town square, several temples and the temple where the flame of rome was kept-the continual burning of the flame ensured the safety of rome. The flame was kept by 6 roman virgins..if they ever strayed they were buried alive and the men whipped to death..bit rough.

after that moved onto the colosseum. Its massive, however alot of the original marble that covered it and all the original seating etc were removed and used for other buildings. I was surprised in the tour how much of the roman buildings were made of cheap easy concrete and expensive marble placed on top. When the needed materials for new buildings they just took it from the older temples. The same is for all the bronze-alot of statues and fittings have all been melted down and dont exist anymore. Alot of the roman towns and buildings were buried in huge town fires, so instead of clearing the waste, they just built over the top of it all. Its amazing how much of the ruins they believe are still buried beneath the city.

Were at the laundry at the moment...2 weeks of washing gets pretty smelly...

planning on visiting the vatican city and st. peters tomorrow.

brenton- the camera has taken fantastic photos. its not loading the photos onto the computer that is the problem. as soon as i take the sd card out and connect it into the computer and open the file, if i then put the sd card back in the camera it says there are no images. but they still come up on the computer????im confused!!

i would love to load the photos for everyone to see but im worried about losing the photos?

love to all

 

Comments

1

Hi guys.....
It all sounds awesome, good to hear having a wonderfull time.
Guess what Dan i started playing football. I play for east burwood girls... omg they are massive chicks, well donno if you would call them chicks. I think im the only one with blonde hair... haha
keep up with all.
love ya's

  melwhite14 Apr 23, 2008 10:15 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.