Existing Member?

Travelling light(ish) - Ho Chi Minh City to Kuala Lumpur and a bit inbetween

Retreat to the mountains??

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 20 April 2010 | Views [485] | Comments [3]

With a slight sigh of relief and a three hour bus journey we arrived in Ho Chi Minh City's polar opposite - Mui Ne - almost deserted beaches, quiet bars and bungalow huts right on the beach.  So we settled down for a couple of days of sunbathing and general chill out time.  Technically Mui Ne is a Kite surfing hot spot but every sport needs it's spectators so I think we contributed in that way!

This morning we left as we had arrived - by bus - but after opting for a different bus company experienced a far more authentically vietnamese experience then on our first journey.  Goodbye air con and free bottles of water, hello open windows, un made roads and an engine that had to be filled with water from a river to prevent smoking.  But as it was only a few hours it was definately the more interesting way to travel especially as we were going right up the mountains to Delat.

Delat, where we are right now, wasn't quite what I imagined when I read the lonely planets description of the 'town of eternal spring'.  Log cabins, fir trees, and streams everywhere was maybe a bit idealistic but all the same a busy motorbike filled city was a bit of a surprise.  But it has definately been worth a see and next stop Nha Trang beach for a strategic journey stop off point, aka tanning location.

Comments

1

phew, glad your enjoying a break from ho chi minh, think i forgot to mention the mopeds, you get used to holding your breath and hoping for the best after a couple of days i guess! will be thinking of you in nha trang, definately good tannage spot :) xx

  Heidi Apr 21, 2010 5:53 AM

2

I've just read Heidis comments and am very glad to find out about the kamakazee sounding moped drivers of Ho Chi Min AFTER you've left!

  NM Apr 24, 2010 2:27 AM

3

hi jw thanks for the update great to hear your having a good time
love from hammer

  john edwards Apr 24, 2010 5:54 AM

About jennye23

On Monkey Island in Ha Long Bay - there were monkeys here but the type that pounce on small children to steal their crisps so we stayed well clear

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.