Existing Member?

Living the Dream My travel journal to help keep friends and family up to date with where I am in the world.

The Trials and Tribulations of Travel

ITALY | Thursday, 31 August 2006 | Views [467]

I am about to leave Positano on a ferry to Salerno where I will catch a bus to Benevuto and then a train to Bari where I will board another ferry for the overnight trip to Dubrovnik in Croatia. That is one hell of a long day. Yesterday I thought I might no be able to leave as no boats were running due to rough weather and no buses were running due to a rock fall along the road between Positano and Amalfi. Because of the lack of transport I was not able to do what I wanted and had to hang round Positano for another day rather than going to Capri or Ravello which is on top of the cliff above Amalfi.

Pompei was good. A whole town of ruins you can explore and did a tour for a couple of hours to get an understanding of what I was looking at which was worth it. Quite funny when the guide took us through the red light district of Pompei but I will tell that story when I show the photos! On the way back from Pompei I checked out Sorento before catching the bus back on that scary road, especially when you are up high in the bus on the coast side, the road is wet and the driver is on his mobile with one hand on the wheel!

Funnily enough the hostel in Positano was full of Aussies but so was Cinque Terra and pretty much all girls which has also been the case for a while now. A few of the girls where just like Kath & Kim the Aussie TV show which was quite entertaining.

I will not miss the 700-800 or so steps to get to the beach and back or the horns of the buses as they aproach the corner near the hostel at 7:30 in the morning.

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.