Existing Member?

Living the Dream My travel journal to help keep friends and family up to date with where I am in the world.

It's Friday and what a tough week at the office!

GERMANY | Friday, 9 June 2006 | Views [336]

Took a trip into Frankfurt yesterday to see if the ticket broker really existed and thankfully it did. We picked up Adam B's England ticket but the other tickets were not ready yet. Decided to stay in town and drink the afternoon away on Kaiserstrasse (King Street) as the place was abuzz with people from everywhere in the world. Lots of beer and wine tents and food stalls. Had a few drinks with a bloke called Glen who is over here for the shooting World Cup of all things. He actually competes for Figi and was at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. Had plenty of laughs with some older German blokes and a few aussies. The English were out in force and were quite loud as the night got into full swing. We kept taunting them about Wayne Rooney's fitness and their lack of a left midfielder. Plenty of Paraguay supporters too. The sun doesn't go down here till about 9:30 which is great for enjoying the festivities.

Plenty of people trying to buy tickets from whoever would offer them up. One English bloke, who asked me if I was buying or selling, asked me what games I was looking for to which I replied Australia v Japan. Within a couple of hours he was back with three category 1 tickets asking for €500 a ticket! We offered €400 and exchanged numbers. Will have to wait and see what else is going down.

For some strange reason there is quite often people hanging out in the toilets collecting money. One guy was in the toilet in McDonalds another was in the toilet at O'rielly's pub. You don't have to pay and not every one does....?

Interesting to notice fighter planes criss-crossing the sky all day long. Not sure if that is normal or NATO patrols for the World Cup.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.