Existing Member?

Living the Dream My travel journal to help keep friends and family up to date with where I am in the world.

The Fanatics Tour - Part 2

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 10 April 2006 | Views [434]

Friday 16 June: Salzburg & Austrian Alps

Today presents 2 options:

1) Salzburg and Austrian Alps

Today we drive through Salzburg plus the breathtaking Austrian Alps and beautiful summer lakes, a region of Natural and World Heritage. We travel along the majestic Alpine roads to experience the largest ice caves and underground glacier in the world. Our trip includes the impossibly positioned town of Hallstatt with its extraordinary bone house.

2) Austrian Alps Adrenaline

The adrenaline junkies can get their kicks in the beautiful surroundings of the Austrian Alps. Options include canyoning, sky diving, river rafting, paragliding, mountain biking…. or even trout fishing for the Rex Hunt’s amongst us. Fees are payable for the various activities. In the down time we will be chilling at a conspicuous Australian pub.

The action doesn't stop there though. Tonight’s live action sees Chelsea team mates Arjen Robben and Didier Drogba clash for their respective teams, Holland and Ivory Coast. Then the Mexicans take on the might of Angola.

Overnight: Munich

Saturday 17 June: Aussies Love Brazilians

Munich will be abuzz today as the Brazilian juggernaut roles into town. Check out the city by day before we team up with the Brazilian supporters at our official pre-match Samba Party complete with Brazilian beats, beauties and fine Bavarian beer.

On our recent trip to the FIFA draw the Brazilian organising committee were over the moon at the idea of the party & pledged to support it in every way. Both Australians and Brazilians are well known as the friendliest and best supporters in the world so when the two join forces tonight it’ll be simply crazy. Might be a good idea to brush up on a few Patrick Swayze Dirty Dancing moves before cutting up the dance floor at this one.

Tonight's party flavour will be spiced up with all the live excitement from the USA vs Italy and Czech vs Ghana matches.

Overnight: Munich

Sunday 18 June: Match Day - Australia vs Brazil in Munich. 6pm kick-off

The butterflies will start early today as the Aussies head into the lion’s den against the greatest superpower in ever seen in sport, Brazil.

Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Carlos, Cafu, Kaka, Adriano… the list goes on and on.

So if ever the Aussie underdog spirit was going to play it’s hand to the world, this is surely the stage. The build up to today’s match & the atmosphere inside the stadium will be like nothing any of us have ever seen or experienced before, together we'll simply get into it and cherish every moment. Win lose or draw, tonight will be unsurpassable.

Tonight’s 9pm action on the screens sees the French take on the Koreans live from Leipzig.

Overnight: Munich

Monday 19 June: A dose of culture, religion, architecture... and a brewery

This isn’t an Uncle Arthur tour, this is first & foremost a football tour, but we do take the opportunity stop by the Neuschwanstein Castle, famous for being built by an eccentric German King and the modern inspiration for the Disney castle. While your mates will be more interested in the Samba Party your mum will be stoked you took at least one touristy photo.

Back on the bus we head up to Andech’s Monastery where Benedictine monks have been brewing strong beer since the year 1455. The restaurant here serves nothing but traditional Bavarian food, including the mammoth “pork knuckle”, ideally washed down with a traditional 1 litre stein of 7% Boch beer.

Tonight we head out for the live-site action as the Spanish attempt to conquer Tunisia and the Ukrainians take on the Saudis.

Overnight: Munich

Tuesday 20 June: Dachau and Augsburg

After what will hopefully be a win against the world’s best football power, this morning takes on a more sobering note with a visit to the Dachau Concentration Camp."
Germany's first camp of this type, established in 1933, the camp is a place of historical significance. Here you will learn about the camp and the atrocities committed there during the second World War . The tour lasts most of the morning and will get us back to Munich just after lunch.

It is a deeply moving experience and one well worth attending.

We then head to the classic German town of Augsburg to explore the medieval architecture, monumental fountains, lavish streets and sample some Swabian cooking. And being part of Bavaria there’s no shortage of local beer houses to quench your thirst.

We'll be staying in Augsburg to watch Germany’s last qualifying game against Ecuador in one of the famous beer houses and downing a few steins with many a passionate Augschburger (a person from Augsburg).

We then head back to Munich and straight out to see the massive clash between England and Sweden.

Overnight: Munich

Wednesday 21 June: Lazy day in Munich

Today is free to check out Munich and knock off the souvenir shopping list for those mini soccer balls you promised your friends and family.

Tonight’s feature match is the all-Latin derby between Portugal & Mexico at 9pm.

Overnight: Munich

Thursday 22 June: Match Day - Australia vs Croatia in Stuttgart, 9pm

This is crunch time and tonight’s fixture will likely determine the fate of both teams.

We travel in our convoy of coaches from Munich to Stuttgart where we spend the afternoon checking out the city. We again soak up all the pre-match atmosphere in town before giving it everything in support of the Aussies against the European might of Croatia.

After the match let's hope we're celebrating Australia’s triumph into the round of sixteen before we return to Munich on our coaches.

Overnight: Munich

Friday 23 June: Farewell to our new mates

Tags: The Planning Phase

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.