Existing Member?

Living the Dream My travel journal to help keep friends and family up to date with where I am in the world.

The Fanatics Tour - Part 1

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 10 April 2006 | Views [353]

Although this itinerary is subject to change it will give you an idea!

Sunday 11 June: Arrival in Frankfurt & Tour Opening Party

Let the World Cup party begin.

Head out to enjoy the local hospitality at our tour opening parties. Tonight’s tv matches are Sweden vs Trinidad and Portugal vs Angola so that’ll no doubt get everyone pumped for tomorrow’s big game against Japan.

Overnight: Frankfurt & surrounding areas

Monday 12 June: Match Day - Australia v Japan in Kaiserslautern, 3pm

The Aussies are coming!

Board our coaches for the drive down the autobahn to Kaiserslautern.

We arrive into the city in time to check out the town before heading to our pre-match bar to soak up the pre-match atmosphere including the huge traditional pre-match sing-a-long. The locals here have a particular soft spot for Aussies because it happens to be the former home of Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer way back at the start of his European career. We then head out to the stadium to commence the countdown to the most anticipated kick-off in Australian sporting history.

After the match the party atmosphere in Kaiserslautern will be unbelievable with supporters of both teams enjoying the local hospitality. We’ll be kicking on in town before heading back on the coaches to the accommodation.

Overnight: Frankfurt & surrounding areas

Tuesday 13 June: Chill Out at The Beach

This morning most of us will no doubt be a little slow out of the blocks. So after a lazy start to the day we head to Frankfurt’s amazing Beach Club set along the Main River where we have booked the venue for the perfect recovery session in a setting that can only be described as Cancuun comes to Europe - white sand, deck chairs, beach umbrellas, funky bars, dj’s, hi-tech dance floors & more. It’ll blow you away.

The live action continues tonight with the crunch European derby between France & Switzerland followed by the big one, Brazil vs Croatia, a result that could be crucial to Australia’s chances.

Overnight: Frankfurt & surrounding areas

Wednesday 14 June: Munich & Lawrence of Arabia

This morning we travel through southern Germany to the Bavarian captial Munich. After settling into our accommodation we prepare for our “Adopt-a-Team” theme day. We don’t expect Tunisia & Saudi Arabia to exactly be flush with traveling fans, so what better way to support the world game than with hundreds of Aussies all kitted out in their best Lawrence of Arabia outfits - half of us rooting for the Saudis, the other half cheering on the Tunisians.

After returning from the stadium* we head to the heart of Munich for tonight’s live screen action as the entire nation stops for the critical Germany vs Poland clash.

Overnight: Munich

Thursday 15 June: Bavarian Breweries Tour

Australia has a strong reputation for breweries and beer drinking but this is nothing compared to the long & proud history in Germany, especially in Bavaria. Today we hop aboard our coaches to explore some of the oldest breweries in the country, or for that matter the world! We begin our day with a tour of Erdinger Weissbrau, the world’s largest wheat beer brewery and one of the most sophisticated in Europe.

We then kick on to the beautifully located Weishenstephan, the oldest existing brewery in the world. Monks have been brewing the amber ale here since the year 1040. The brewery even has a special department in the Technical University of Munich that trains master brewers from around the world. These guys are definitely serious about their beer! Our last stop is the slightly younger Hofbrahaus Freising brewery having only started in the year 1160.

Tonight we head out for the live screen action as the Poms take on Sydney United’s Dwight Yorke and the rest of the T&T boys followed by Sweden vs Paraguay.

Overnight: Munich

Tags: The Planning Phase

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.